Monday, October 28, 2013

BIG SCHOOL OR SMALL SCHOOL?

            I am currently a junior and next year I have to choose whether I want to go to a large college or a small college.  This is today’s prompt.  Is small schools better or large schools better. 
            This is a very hard choice to make because they both have their advantages and disadvantages.  I personally don’t know what size school I want to go to.  But I do the advantages and disadvantages of both of them.
            Small schools may seem not good compared to the humungous colleges but it has something that big schools don’t have; the faculty to student ratio is lower.  This basically means that there if you go to a small school, there would be more teachers that could help you out.  Compared to the large schools, some where the student can’t even talk to his professor because there are too many students waiting, small colleges have teachers that can concentrate more on you.  Some students don’t go to large colleges even though they are accepted because of this ratio difference.
            Another thing that small schools are better at than big schools is the smaller student body which gives students the chance to get to know each other better.  In big schools, there are so many people that it is impossible to even memorize their names.  Small schools would feel friendlier and as if you are home because you know everyone or mostly everyone there.  You would feel like everyone is your family and they would all be really close friends until the end of your college term.
            As I am writing this, I decided that I would like to go to a large college rather than a small one because of the scholarships.  Big schools provide more aid than that of the small schools, mostly because they have a big student body and has lots of money.  Another reason is because I like to meet a lot of new people.  Some people will say that they felt left out because they didn’t know anyone there but I like it because I get the chance to meet new people.  The most important reason why I chose big schools is because of the courses they offer.  Small schools, having a small student body, don’t offer as much courses as big schools.  Big schools will have possibly all the courses and majors that you can possibly think of, as compared to small schools which will have the majority but not the minority courses.
            Something that makes me want to go to large colleges is because I went to high school on Saipan, a really small island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  Since the island is so small, my school was also very small.  I knew the names of everyone in our school and there was always a teacher there to help me when I needed it.  Since I went here for so long, I am sick and tired of it.  I want to try some new things, a new challenge.

            This choice comes to everyone once in a lifetime and everyone has their own reasons why they choose a particular school.  There is no right or wrong answer because everyone has different views on which is more important for them.  My choice is big schools.  

No comments:

Post a Comment